Saturday, February 14, 2009

Happy Valentine's Day

Wanted to wish you a very happy Valentine's Day!

I hope you're doing something for yourself that feels good.

Don't feel like you must have a date. Or that it's imperative to socialize.

What is important to do is to practice self care.

I feel a bit like a broken record when I say this....but it's so easy to get caught up in the business of life, that we become our To Do lists.

When was the last time you played music and danced?

Allowed yourself some quiet time?

Went to a movie you've long wanted to see?

Had a good belly laugh with a friend?

The better you feel about yourself...and it's an inside job....the more appealing you will be to a potential mate.

Who wouldn't want to be with someone who is lit up from the inside out? Who is confident. Who loves life.

Is that you?

Think about it.

I had lunch with a friend from high school yesterday who reconnected with me recently on the web. It was nice to see her. A trip down memory lane. I loved high school and my experiences there, so it was a feel good luncheon bringing each other up to date....as much as we could in one luncheon.

She is single....never married....and has a live-in boyfriend. She has no desire to marry him or have children. She earns more than him...and said he is a boy at heart....which sounded both good and challenging.....so she has no desire to walk down the aisle. She is happy with her life. She has many friends. Does country line dancing. Enjoys trying new things. Her boyfriend is introducing her to hiking and ice skating. A friend of hers is introducing her to rock wall climbing.

I was intrigued to see all that she is doing. She likes her job, and practices self care seemingly well. She is currently being treated for a back problem, and took it upon herself to pay out of pocket for the treatment. She wants to feel good.

It got me thinking about the choices people make in their lives.

I wondered what she imagined was ahead for her when we were in high school?

What did I imagine was ahead for me?

How about you?

There's no one way to be happy. And, marriage isn't the answer for everyone.

If it's what you do want for yourself, then you might take away some helpful pointers from my book HOW TO MARRY A MENSCH (decent person) and earlier blog posts.

But, regardless....do your best to live in the moment, and enjoy each day as much as possible.

Start with today!! You deserve it.

No comments: